Friday, July 1, 2011

Sometimes, you can't say enough good things

Last September I sat down to write a show about a job that I had outgrown. Tonight, I closed that show after a very successful six-week run. I am blown away by what Paul Whitehouse and I were able to achieve as artists. I am floored by the encouragement I've received over the past eight months. In that time I have feared failure, having to cancel shows due to low house counts, negative feedback, and a weekly train wreck due to my very tech-heavy half of the production. I got none of that.

What may have seemed like a very modest response to some felt monumental to me. 'Sucked Into Service', as a whole, exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. Thank you to every one who attended when they could, those who shared kind words, and those who worked harder than they probably should have for such a little show. I don't have enough love in my heart, words in my vocabulary, or money in my bank account to thank the following people: Sarah Rose Graber, Paul Whitehouse, Lina Bunte, Sarah Borer, Jerrod Howe, Mark Beers, Dan Wagner, John McCloskey, Kimberly Hickman, Troy Heard, and Dan Granata. If you weren't working on the show, you were listening to me worry about it. Thank you. (Wags and McCloskey, thank you for the props I used. Oh! And while I'm at it, Eric Roach, thank you for that rolling chair!) "Trapped in a Box" itself may come back, but it will probably never be produced in this way again. It was a beast at times and, if ever remounted, there is no way it will be the same. Watching something I've created grow and change and morph into something surprisingly different can be easily equated to watching your own child develop. I guess. I don't know, really. I've never had a kid, but that's how people talk about it, and I am beyond proud of my baby. That's the beauty of this whole damn thing. Congratulations to Paul for his show, '1/2 Caf Chronicles' as well. Paul, I hope you are proud. It was an honor to work with you on this.

For a formerly shy child who still appears very standoffish and tends to "hide behind her tree", this goes beyond anything I ever thought I could accomplish. My family can't even believe I did it. Not only did I survive, I had fun! Thank you for helping me realize a tiny dream.

Night, night! I love you so much, it's gross. Hey, look! A kitty...

1 comment:

  1. Ma'am,
    You're creation is an amazing work of art. You have every right to be proud. I told you this once before, I didn't really know the full breadth and depth of what I was getting myself into when I said yes. Perhaps, had I known I might have second guessed the choice. However, I am so glad I had a chance to work with you on Trapped in a Box. It was one of those rare, challenging moments in theatre that I know I will never see again. You pulled off an amazing feat and I am proud to have played a part. Thank you, once again, for the opportunity. You are a wonderful person and your show was a lot of fun.
    Very respectfully,
    Jerrod

    ReplyDelete