Thursday, August 19, 2010

But our meeting was so brief


I guess there's a soft spot in my heart for this place after all.

I lived there a total of nine months and, in those nine months, I made friends quicker than I have in any other time period in my life. I haven't seen their faces in over three years, yet I still consider some of those memories home. I was transported back there through great reunions (and some awkward small talk) tonight, and it made me realize how much I miss it. As emotionally tumultuous as it was for me, living there for that short time was like nothing I've ever known, and the fact that I can never go back there in the same capacity is weighing heavily on my heart. The independence of my 20's was all wrapped up in a shiny, brightly-lit ball of slot machines, late night comedy, an off-the-wall, ridiculous job and all my bonds were fueled by frustration and homesickness. It was odd, it was different, it was breathtaking, it was scary, it was freeing, it was me facing my fears, it was bold. It was awesome.

And I never even woke up with a dead hooker in my bed...so I can imagine how some other people feel about this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment