Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Let's talk about it, Adele.



Way back when the NBC late night lineup was what it had been for years, Carson Daly somehow managed to sneak his way into my nightly routine. I didn't plan for it, it just happened. Once he decided to change the format of his talk show, he started exhibiting something rather strange-he had pretty good taste in music. It was because of his newly-formatted music show that I was introduced to Adele.

Impressive. Thanks, Carson Daly. Now she has a new album and, I'm just going to repeat what everyone's been saying, but in my own way: Bitch, you know what you're doing, don't you?

I can't deal. What the fuck? (Has any album review ever contained those two phrases back to back?) I guess I should say thanks for releasing a body of work that I can actually love, as opposed to me saying, "Yeah, I like that album," even though I really only think a handful of the songs are legitimately good. I don't think I have liked a new artists' full album since 1996, which was just a few years before autotune came onto the scene, dominated everything you heard on the radio and, by default, stunted my musical growth. When, in order to find good music, one had to go on endless searches that rivaled that of Frodo's quest to the fires of Mordor, I backed the fuck off, because I just didn't have the energy, and stuck with what I knew would withstand the test of time- Beatles, Bowie, bands I listened to in high school, and bands my parents listened to during my conception. I didn't realize, until I downloaded Adele's 21, that my iPod had become a patchwork quilt of four-to-five great songs from each post-90's artist's "great album" stitched together with some mid-90's alternative, 80's new wave, and classic rock.

Adele, girl, take a bow. You've done it. Thanks for being the first in what should be a long line of new favorite albums for me. In a perfect music world those albums would be produced by many talented artists. But I know this world is mass-produced, Gaga-infested (She has her place, but give it a rest.), and an unoriginal place, so all my new favorite albums may be credited to you only.

You're on your way to being a standalone entity of greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment