Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's Just Hair, People!

Here is a preposterous "news" story out of Columbus, Georgia- not too far from where I grew up myself.




Pink and purple: Controversy over Columbus student's hair
She was asked to lead the Pledge of Allegiance, then told to dye her hair.

By Alison Flowers
Blackmon Road Middle School student Angelica Rosado dyed purple and pink streaks in her hair back in April. Recently, a school counselor asked her to lead the Pledge of Allegiance at an awards ceremony in Columbus.

But two days before the ceremony, Rosado was told she would need to dye her hair back to its natural color, or she couldn't take the stage.

The school has a policy against extreme hair color. The Muscogee County School District's policy guards against disruptive grooming habits.

"I'm happy with the way it looks," said Rosado's mother, Dora Moreno, a stylist who performed the dye job. "She's got a lot of compliments. I think even the principal complimented it."

Principal Marty Richburg tells News 3 he tried to reach a resolution with the family, asking Moreno to tone down her daughter's hair--something Moreno isn't willing to do because she says it would put extra stress on the hair due to required bleaching.

Richburg said Rosado is welcome to attend the ceremony, just not represent the entire school with her hair the way it is.

"It's not fair," Rosado said. "I mean, it's a free country, so why not?"


As I do not know Angelica Rosado personally, I am going out on a limb by saying she probably isn't a bad kid. When you consider the fact that she was asked to lead the Pledge of Allegiance, I feel pretty confident in this assumption. Now, I haven't stepped foot inside a middle school since 1996 and thank goodness for that. And, though I am not surprised that the minds of southern school officials have not opened in the new millennium, it enrages the 30 year-old me as much as it would my 14 year-old former self. Because, quite frankly, this is ridiculous. It's just hair.

We are living, sadly, in an era when bullying can lead to a child's suicide, school shootings are so common we are nearly desensitized by the news, and hate is so widespread we actually have to remind our children every day to not be terrified of being themselves. When I was a kid, I worried about being teased to the point of embarrassment. I was never afraid for my life. Point being, there have to be disciplinary issues in this particular school that are much more pressing than this young lady's hair. This ludicrous and asinine debate over nothing but a choice of style aside, it is the principle of the matter. Even if I did believe Rosado's colorful mane caused such a ruckus that she should be expelled, I would come to her defense on this issue because, if her hair color violated a school rule, she should have been A) called out for this weeks ago and B) not asked to lead the Pledge in the first place. I've seen some comments stating that Rosado's mother is teaching her daughter that breaking the rules is acceptable behavior. I think Blackmon Road Middle School is teaching their students the fine art of giving something away then taking it back which, in many instances, is a much more criminal offense. I understand that there is a policy which states "students cannot distract, unreasonably, the attention of other students with their grooming," but this is 2011. I doubt there are many young people out there who are blown away by the sight of purple hair at this point.

If I could say anything to Angelica it is this: I am sorry your principal is so lame. You should be thankful that your mom is so cool! Mine would have done the same thing. She would have stuck by me. When I first read the headline, I have to admit, I was expecting something really extreme. Then I saw your hair. Not only was I outraged by the ridiculousness of this entire thing, I was jealous. You look great! A really good friend of mine is in her mid-30's, she has magenta streaks in her black hair, and she works in a law firm here in Chicago. No one bats an eye. I am sorry you've got such a "controversy" on your hands. Just remember this: in some areas north of the Bible Belt, the world is changing...one purple-haired freak at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Angelica is student council president and makes excellent grades. That is why she was asked to lead the Pledge. Thanks, Caples!

    ReplyDelete