Tuesday, July 13, 2010

For every winner, there's an assload of losers.

So, my theater company just won a $20,000 grant for our expansion project that is coming up. Good thing, because there's no telling how we could have grown without it. Of course, everyone on this social networking site called "Facebook" was sick to death of seeing theater companies "beg" for votes to put them on the leaderboard so this money could be granted. Hell, I was sick of seeing it, myself, and I did my fair share of asking. I get it. I get overly tired of things that are run into the ground (Like people talking about Lebron James) and it makes me want to punch someone in the neck.

But it's over now. The winners have been announced and my company was one of 15 Chicago theaters recognized this year. I would think, as a performer in this city, that would be something you'd want to celebrate.

Instead, people choose to be dicks. Comments like, "Can I stop voting now?" and "Are you going to post 100 thank yous to everyone who voted for you?" are just catty, ridiculous, and, in my opinion, are in poor taste. Especially if you yourself have performed at that very venue many times. If the company shows you support, whether their Facebook pleas annoyed you or not, a simple "congrats" will suffice. If you don't care and want to say nothing at all...then that will do as well.

I'm sorry. It just had to be said. It's a great day for a lot of Chicago theaters as well as companies and charities across the country. Sometimes, we just need to hear good news. Stop being dicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment